Presbyterian Kaseman Community Health Resource Center Garden
- PHS Healthcare Services held a grand opening for the Kaseman Community Health Resource Center and Garden on June 12th, 2019. The garden was well received. Patients can currently get a prescription from their healthcare provider to attend healthy eating and cooking classes as well as receive fruits and
vegetables from the pantry at the Resource Center.
- The initial site work was completed prior to the grand opening and soil sponges were installed to begin soil remediation at the site. ACE Leadership High School has built and delivered the 4 ADA accessible raised garden beds.
- A temporary, above-ground irrigation system has been installed to expedite the soil remediation.
- Once the soil is remediated and plants are established, patients and volunteers will be able to tend the garden and receive vegetables grown in the garden.
- Design/programming concepts include: soil health demonstration & education opportunities, urban pollinator garden, passive water harvesting techniques, etc.
- The site will serve as a gathering space for future workshops and demonstrations.
- The soil sponges or trenches can be used at almost any project to improve soil health.
- The temporary irrigation system was developed specifically for irrigating the sponges and the layout will be revised for future projects to maximize efficiency of materials and labor. The irrigation system installation began after cold weather hit and made the work more difficult and time consuming. This should occur in warmer weather in order to avoid these issues in future projects.